Get In Touch:
(866) 600-7167

Mobile Devices: Here to Stay? We say, “Definitely.”

If you’re active on the Internet in the 21st century, you’ve probably used a mobile device to access a website. In fact, we can almost guarantee it. With the shift from flip phones to smartphones and the advent of tablet computers (such as the iPad), we’re moving towards mobile access at a lightening-speed pace.

 

Back in 2008, Mary Meeker, an analyst at Kleiner Perkins Caufield Buyers, boldly predicted that, “Mobile access would overtake fixed Internet access by 2014.” That statement lit up the Internet, and there were some doubters. But, now in 2013, data shows that that statement is becoming truer by the day.

 

In June, Monetate released a report on web traffic for ecommerce brands. It said that of the 500 million visitors to major retailers in quarter 1, mobile device access more than doubled between this year and last year. While fixed Internet still accounts for about 75% of website traffic, the remaining 25% belongs to mobile devices. That’s over 100 million users – pretty significant.

mobile-site-usage

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Consumers continue to demonstrate that they’re using their smartphones for browsing and research. Apps are important, too. According to recent data:

 

  • Mobile device website traffic increased from 5.42% in 2012 to 10.44% in 2013.
  • Mobile sites give consumers an easy, convenient way to research your business.
  • 82% of time on smartphones is spent using apps.

 

conversion-rate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tablets are also a great example of the power of mobile devices. A few quick figures:

 

  • Tablet website traffic increased from 5.95% in 2012 to 10.58% in 2013.
  • Tablets exceeded traditional desktop devices for conversion rates for the first time in the 1st quarter of 2013.
  • Consumers are getting more comfortable purchasing products online using tablets.

 

Website-visits-by-device

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It’s a no-brainer at this point: mobile devices are here to stay. Will mobile access overtake fixed Internet access in the next year or so? Nobody can say for sure, but if current trends continue, it seems promising.

 

Let us help you optimize your website for mobile access. We’ll get you up to speed and ready to take on the ever-growing mobile crowd. To get in touch, call 866-600-7167.

 

This entry was posted in Web and SEO. Bookmark the permalink.
  • Recent posts

    ChangeMyRelationship.com Website Makeover

    Over the past few months, we’ve been working diligently with Karla Downing of ChangeMyRelationship.com to … more

    How can a Facebook page help your business?

    Facebook is one of the biggest social revolutions of this century. It has completely changed … more